Some Stuff About Me:

My photo
I'm a Minnesota Girl, living in the south. I tell my friends I try not to talk and think like a Yankee, but sometimes I slip up!

Sunday, June 15, 2008

From whence cometh the blog title....


I decided to title this blog,
"Living Imperfectly". The
title arises from
rediscovering an old,
much beloved poem
earlier this month, and
also from the reflection that,
while enjoying this phase
of my life, I probably like the
fact that I can live it imperfectly
...something I rarely allowed
myself to do it the past.

I give you the poem:


Imperfection

I am falling in love
with my imperfections
The way I never get the sink really clean,
forget to check my oil,
lose my car in parking lots,
miss appointments I have written down,
am just a little late.

I am learning to love
the small bumps on my face
the big bump of my nose,
my graying scalp,
chipped nail polish,
toes that overlap.
Learning to love
the open-ended mystery
of not knowing why

I am learning to fail
to make lists,
use my time wisely,
read the books I should.

Instead I practice inconsistency,
irrationality, forgetfulness.

Probably I should
hang my clothes neatly in the closet
all the shirts together, then the pants,
send Christmas cards, or better yet
a letter telling of
my perfect family

But I’d rather waste time
listening to the rain,
or lying underneath my cat
learning to purr.

-by Elizabeth Carlson


2 comments:

Pam said...

Oh yes, I love and so0o0o0o000oo relate to this poem!

It's 'perfect'!!!

quid said...

It does feel like she got into our heads, no?