Some Stuff About Me:

My photo
I'm a Minnesota Girl, living in the south. I tell my friends I try not to talk and think like a Yankee, but sometimes I slip up!

Friday, January 16, 2009

Person of the Year - 2008

"O"






As redundant as it might be, I have to nominate, for my personal "Person of the Year", the same man who was my "Person of the Year" for 2007.



It will come as no surprise. Time magazine agreed with me, this year, however.



Quoting from the Quid 360 blog, last year at this time, seems to be the smartest thing to do. There is little more that is left to be said, other than Obama seemed to have filled the expectations I had for him and surpassed them all.....




Person of the Year...................Entry for January 02, 2008 and January 16, 2009:

A reviewer of Republican persuasion said of Obama: "I respect and admire him as a thoughtful and eloquent American with a compelling story."


That is why I believe him to be the "person of the year 2007"....he uplifts others, he speaks from his heart, he believes in his vision with passion, he states it eloquently. There is little artifice. There is much to be admired. He is perhaps untested; he may not have the experience in federal government or on the world stage that is thought to be a prerequisite for the highest office in the land.


When all is said and done, Obama may fade away and become yesterday's news. And even if he does, what he accomplished on the national stage in 2007 is more than did any other single contributor. And when his year and this election fade away, Obama's words about what needs to be made right (not what is wrong) in America today, from Audacity, will linger:


"We say we value the legacy we leave the next generation, and then saddle that generation with mountains of debt. We say we believe in equal opportunity but then stand idle while millions of American children languish in poverty. We insist that we value family, but then structure our economy and organize our lives so as to ensure that our families get less and less of our time."


We've been doing these kinds of things for years, for decades...we are our own worst enemies. Electable or not, I cherish Barack Obama for giving us a wake up call in 2007.



And perhaps those 5 or 6 great speeches in 2008, perhaps that victory against the odds and Hilary, perhaps that truly amazing cabinet will all be for naught in the face of the limitless obstacles he (and we) face. But for right now, for 2008, Barack Obama is definitively the Person of the Year.

No comments: