Some Stuff About Me:

My photo
I'm a Minnesota Girl, living in the south. I tell my friends I try not to talk and think like a Yankee, but sometimes I slip up!

Monday, November 30, 2009

PAULA





I took a "luxury" day off just to clear my head today. (Suffice it to say, I only got 3 hours of sleep last night....but who cares what caused it. I HAVE TODAY OFF.)



Since I didn't have to get in on time, I was able to catch the interview on my radio morning show with Paula Deen, who is one of my favorites.



I'm dying to visit Paula's restaurant in Savannah. Maybe someday.



The feature joke, of course, was Paula's getting hit by the ham while she was putting together a great charity drive at Thanksgiving. What I like about Paula, is that she got just as big a kick out of it as the listeners, her self-depracatory sense of humor warm and wonderful. She also laughed her way through a fake "phone in" from one of the station's jokesters, who appeared as a 90 year old fan. He asked Paula if he could rub his honey baked ham next to her yeast biscuits. You gotta love a woman who can take a joke.



My daughter Andrea remains a vegetarian, but she does eat scallops and mussels. Here's the Paula Deen fave I'll cook for her for Christmas, while the rest of us dine on beef tenderloin. This recipe is from "The Deen Family Cookbook":





Seared Scallops with Pineapple Cucumber Salsa
2 pounds scallops
2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup diced peeled cucumber
1 cup canned diced pineapple, drained
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion2
1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon Paula Deen hot sauce, or hot sauce of your choice
Pepper, to taste

In a bowl, combine the cucumber, pineapple, cilantro, red onion, lime zest, jalapeno, salt and hot sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
Rinse the scallops and pat them very dry. Then season them with salt and pepper.Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sear the scallops, without moving them in a pan, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side.Serve with a generous topping of salsa.

****Page 156-157 of Paula Deen's "The Deen Family Cookbook"****


I decided to save you from the "Ham in the Face" video and feature a funny set of "Paula moments" above. Good thing I only try to make Paula food a couple of times a year.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I've never been one for seafood (other than tuna or salmon in a can).

Pass me the beef tenderloin, please.

quid said...

Kel- I'll save you some.

quid

Debby said...

Hey, Quid, our zip is 16345. Russell, PA, up in the northwest corner of PA.