Some Stuff About Me:

My photo
I'm a Minnesota Girl, living in the south. I tell my friends I try not to talk and think like a Yankee, but sometimes I slip up!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Effortless ...... Tune In Friday #7






He's 84 this year, but Bennett's singing is effortless. I've made it a goal this year and next to see him in concert, just once. One of the things I love about him, with this overabundance of Duet CD's that have proliferated in recent years, is just how generous he is with all other musicians. Check out the two studio videos above. In today's music, with all the great studio enhancements that are layered over mediocre, sellable artists voices, Bennett's clear and true magic with a song stands out.

In the first, "I Wanna Be Around".. check out how much Bono loves the music. It's a departure from many of his videos, and proves just how good his voice is; often taking a back chair to the lyrics and music and the spectacle that is U2.

The second video, although broken a little for artist conversation, is even better. Unlike with Bono, this rendition soars when they mingle their voices. My god, K. D. Lang can sing! Most people think of "I Left My Heart" when they think of Bennett... my parents' focus on this song, "Because of You" makes it the first one that comes to mind whenever I think of him. They loved their crooners, and they loved me meandering around the house with my 6-year old version of "Because of You". I admit it, tears welled up when I first played the video. I've been watching "American Idol" and what passes for talented performances on a big stage and national TV... well, this brings you back to what real singing is all about.

How is it that I have co-existed on this planet with this man for 55 years and never seen him in concert? Yup. I'm gonna rectify that. He may not be able to do this much longer.

Because of You

Because of you
There's a song
In my heart.

Because of you
My romance
Had its start.

Because of you
The sun will shine
The moon and stars
Will say you're mine
Forever
And never
To part....

I only live
For your love
And your kiss

It's paradise
To be near you
Like this

Because of you
My life is now worthwhile
And I can smile
Because of you.

2 comments:

Marion said...

He's awesome and still handsome to boot! Great post. Blessings!

Kelly said...

Beautiful music!! (and what I grew up hearing, too)

I love both K.D. Lang and Bono both have wonderful voices. My favorite Bono collaboration was "In a Lifetime" with Clannad. You should look it up if you've never heard it.