Some Stuff About Me:

My photo
I'm a Minnesota Girl, living in the south. I tell my friends I try not to talk and think like a Yankee, but sometimes I slip up!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Poetry... the Jolene format "To Be Or Not To Be"


Thanks to Cara of "Oooh, books", for hosting this at Freeverse. Click on the link below for more.




FreeVerse

I love poetry forms, particularly those that have not been explored in contemporary free verse as much as, say, haiku. Here's a format known as "the jolene" in which the lines count words (not syllables), as follows:

There are Two Stanzas

First:

Three
Seven
Three
Seven
Five

Second:

Five
Five
Five
Five
Seven
Nine

A freeverse poem I wrote early this year in Jolene format, about the struggle within someone who is working for a manager who wants to change everything to mirror the way "they" like it.....


To Be Or Not To Be? ~ Jolene format


The windmills
Before me, they dare
Me, Come! Joust!
Better sensibilities
Left in the dust, cast

Aside for a ride
As Saint Joan you’ll
Recognize me, or
Mistakenly think
Me a Spaniard out to
Conquer, when I desire - equity.

Sanity.
Respectful attitudes.
Compromise.
Communication that will
Include everyone.

Think carefully when
You order and pose
Demanding your way.
There can be someday
A means for your influence
To exceed a mere outcome. Lead us.





5 comments:

Kelly said...

A wonderful poem...one you wish certain people could read. But as 'Dear Abby' says, people never see themselves in things like this.

Cara Powers said...

Thanks for introducing me to this form. I might just have to try my hand at it.

Marion said...

My attention span will barely allow me to do Haiku, but this is a great poem. I love learning new stuff. I hope you're having a good week. Happy Hump Day! Love & Blessings!!

J.T. Oldfield said...

I agree that there's a lot of poetic forms out there that haven't been given their proper due in modern poetry (I used an example of the villanelle this week!). Thanks for introducing us to this one!

Anonymous said...

Quid,

An excellent, thoughtful poem.

I appreciated the ''Jolene''
format, as I am interested
in learing new poetic forms.
Because I am actually indebted
to you for the ''One to Six/Acrecentar'' format.

Raven