Some Stuff About Me:

My photo
I'm a Minnesota Girl, living in the south. I tell my friends I try not to talk and think like a Yankee, but sometimes I slip up!

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Let me apologize for Florida






In the past 10 days, several events tied to the seemingly endless series of Republican debates, have occurred in Florida.







Let me apologize. We aren't all barbarians.



From the Reverend Anne Howard:



"When moderator Brian Williams noted that Texas Governor Rick Perry has presided over a record 234 executions during his term of office, the audience burst into applause -- some of the biggest of the night, according to the applause-o-meters of the blogosphere. (This happened in the debate on the eastern border of Tampa).




That was shocking enough, applauding at the deaths of 234 human beings. I don't care if you are a supporter of capital punishment. Who applauds death? Who are these people?"






From reporter Sam Stein:







"ORLANDO -- The most provocative moment from Thursday night's Republican presidential primary debate came when a few members of the crowd booed an openly gay soldier for asking whether he would have to hide his sexuality under a future, Republican administration.
Former Senator Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), to whom the question was addressed, responded that he would reinstate "don't ask, don't tell," the federal policy that prohibited LGBT individuals from serving openly in the military."







Santorum claimed he hadn't heard the boos.










Let me reiterate a point on DADT: in private enterprise, or as a government employee in all but the military in these United States, any employee can declare he/she is gay. They don't have to. If they are discriminated against because of their status, they can bring a claim under the EEO policy of this land.



ONLY in the military was this not true, where DADT claimed the careers of those who declared their preference, and, sometimes, of those who had not, but were "found out". Without question. Discrimination. And now, over.




These two atrocious incidents were followed by the Florida straw poll, where Florida Republican voters gave a resounding victory to Herman Cain, whom I define as: "the only Republican candidate actively campaigning for Vice President".







Herman Cain was one of the leading proponents of the Birther movement. A couple of my favorite Cain quotes: "the objective of liberals is to destroy America" and "the United States of America will not become the United States of Europe". And oh, yes, about George Bush:




"George W. Bush was the chosen one, he had the campaign DNA that followers look for."









Should Romney win the nomination, look for the Tea Party to do all in its power to draft Herman Cain for VP. OMG. That's all I'm sayin'.











4 comments:

Serena said...

It's been a fiasco but, hey, it ain't Florida's fault. I have a feeling more of the same will be happening all over the place.:)

Kelly said...

I have to be honest and admit I've paid very little attention to any of this. If I did, I'd never make it to election day (what? more than a YEAR away??) with my sanity intact.

Jenners said...

I don't hold a grudge against Floridians per se ... just the idiots who do the things they do.

Debby said...

I guess that liberals have all the reason in the world to destroy America. Makes perfect sense.

Good gravy. Where do they pull this stuff from.

HEY! I'm a liberal! I'm a veteran! I love my country! I VOTE (for other people)~!