Some Stuff About Me:

My photo
I'm a Minnesota Girl, living in the south. I tell my friends I try not to talk and think like a Yankee, but sometimes I slip up!

Thursday, December 25, 2008

From our Christmas table














I'm not contributing much to the Christmas dinner this year, except the ingredients. I've had an illness since Thanksgiving that tripped up my immune system, and my glucose levels have been all over the board. Had a breakthrough this week when they started me on injectable insulin; glucose is starting to stabilize and the antibiotics finally appear to be taking hold. Nonetheless, I didn't feel much like cooking, so Tom and Andrea are in charge of our traditional turkey dinner. I had a burst of energy this morning and three big sweet potatoes, so I took the opportunity to make an old family favorite for the first time in a long time. I think Kelly wanted the recipe, so here you go, Kel...


Sweet Potato Biscuits

1.5 cups mashed, warm sweet potatoes
(I boil mine with skins on, strip the skin and chunk them to mash)

2 cups all-purpose flour
6 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons white sugar (or use Splenda)
2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup milk


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease or use Pam on two baking sheets.

Mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together. Cut in margarine with pastry cutter or two knives until it is cut and blended in fine pieces.

Add sweet potatoes and mix into biscuit dough - adding milk as necessary.
Turn soft dough onto a well-floured board and knead flour in. Roll or pat to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter or glass. Small cutter will result in crustier biscuits, larger cutter will make them softer. Place on baking sheets (should yield about 24 small) and bake 12-15 minutes.

We like these topped with a choice of butter or sour cream.

ENJOY!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Mmmmmm! These look delicious! Thanks for posting the recipe. I'll have to try making them.

Hope you are on the road to recovery now!

Hal Johnson said...

Sheesh Quid, please get back to a rosy state of health soon.

Merry Christmas!

quid said...

I'm so much better, Kelly. Little by little, I'm getting my energy back and starting to think that the end of this long road is over.

quid

Pam said...

Merry Christmas my special friend! It was good to talk to you today.

May the New Year bring healing to you!