Some Stuff About Me:

My photo
I'm a Minnesota Girl, living in the south. I tell my friends I try not to talk and think like a Yankee, but sometimes I slip up!

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Love and War





The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have created volumes of poetry...with more to come. Much is being written by soldiers. My own sentimentality mixes with anger at the length of time some have had to serve in Iraq.....






This is a poem by a poet known only as "Lucy"... I can only hope her loved one comes home again.






Still I Remain



Who is this man,


that can pull a trigger,


and end a life without so much as


the quickening of his heartbeat?


What do his hands grasp now I wonder?


Cold metal, a Commando dagger,


whilst the memory of his soft touch,


still aches on the surface of my skin.





~~~~~~~~~~~



I may not know who he is, but my heart does.


It shouts his name with every beat,


and grieves every second that we’re parted.


It knows every inch of his skin,


and can see the edges of his soul.


Each beat a metronome counting,


the moments until he’s safe in my arms.



~~~~~~~~~~



I didn’t know that fear like this was possible.


But it has become my everyday companion.


I’m waiting for him alone in the darkness,


like a princess locked in a tower,


whilst I spin my fear into hope and,


my love and prayers into a suit of armour,


to keep him safe. Still I remain.





"Lucy"
February 2009






1 comment:

Kelly said...

This is very moving.