Some Stuff About Me:

My photo
I'm a Minnesota Girl, living in the south. I tell my friends I try not to talk and think like a Yankee, but sometimes I slip up!

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Today's Poem "Sixty"


SIXTY

By Stephen Dunn (from his Pulitzer Prize collection, “Different Hours”)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0393322327/ref=nosim/rambles#noop


Because in my family the heart goes first

and hardly anybody makes it out of his fifties,

I think I'll stay up late with a few bandits

of my choice and resist good advice.

I'll invent a secret scroll lost by Egyptians

and reveal its contents: the directions

to your house, recipes for forgiveness.

History saysmyventricles are stone alleys,

my heart itself a city with a terrorist

holed up in the mayor's office.

I'm in the mood to punctuate

only with that maker of promises, the colon:

next, next, next, its says, God bless it.

As García Lorca may have written: some people

forget to live as if a great arsenic lobster

could fall on their heads at any moment.

My sixtieth birthday is tomorrow.

Come, play poker with me,

I want to be taken to the cleaners.

I've had it with all stingy-hearted sons of bitches.

A heart is to be spent. As for me, I'll share

my mulcher with anyone who needs to mulch.

It's time to give up the search for the invisible.

On the best of days there's little more

than the faintest intimations. The millennium,

my dear, is sure to disappoint us.

I think I'll keep on describing things

to ensure that they really happened.

2 comments:

Marion said...

I've read a few of Mr. Dunn's poems in anthologies, but not this one. It's a real gem. Love this stanza:

"As García Lorca may have written: some people

forget to live as if a great arsenic lobster

could fall on their heads at any moment."

Wise words and so true! Thank you for sharing this. Each day IS a precious gift. Love & Blessings!!

Kelly said...

An interesting outlook. Hmmmm.