Some Stuff About Me:

My photo
I'm a Minnesota Girl, living in the south. I tell my friends I try not to talk and think like a Yankee, but sometimes I slip up!

Friday, April 15, 2011

Tune In Friday - The Great Smokey

I was fortunate to have tickets to Tuesday's concert in Lakeland with the great Smokey Robinson. Granted, not many of the crowd were below 40, but we were all highly enthusiastic! At 71 (yes, 71) Smokey embodies the title of his last CD, "Time Flies When You're Having Fun"....he wasn't afraid to wear a red suit. Smokey's had a little too much facial plastic surgery for my taste, but his voice hasn't aged a bit! He did a mix of all the Miracles hits, songs from his 3 decades of solo CD's, some hits by other artists... "At Last"...and my favorite of the evening, "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones. I featured it in an earlier post, here:

http://livingimperfectly.blogspot.com/2010/05/tune-in-friday-some-new-and-some-old.html



Naturally, his closer was "Tracks of My Tears" and, like all the oldies, he had a lot of audience participation. An intrepid concertgoer already posted this... it's far from the stage, but you can get an idea of how tuned in the audience was:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mM78Or59Rk



I feature his a cappella version of this tune with the group NOTA, for your listening pleasure!







2 comments:

Kelly said...

Glad you had such a great time, Quid!! I noticed when he appeared with NOTA on that show that he was looking a little "plastic" these days. The only time I saw him was in Vegas some years ago and he looked a little more natural then.

quid said...

Kel --

I don't think he can move anything on his face now. His forehead is actually "shiny"!!

quid