Some Stuff About Me:

My photo
I'm a Minnesota Girl, living in the south. I tell my friends I try not to talk and think like a Yankee, but sometimes I slip up!

Sunday, April 1, 2012

National Poetry Month - Maya Angelou

I spent a lot of the last decade in the throes of insomnia. All that has faded in the last three years, as I left menopause behind, and now it is rare that I don't get 6 good hours or more of sleep each night. I also take time to wake and spend a stolen 1/2 or hour in bed once I wake up, just lazing and getting prepared for the next day.

Something went wrong last night, and I last looked at the clock at 4 a.m. after fighting sleeplessness all night. I recalled a poem by the incomparable Angelou that I used to be fond of, and called it up as a "joke on me" this April Fools Day.

Enjoy!






Insomniac

by Maya Angelou

There are some nights when


sleep plays coy,


aloof and disdainful.


And all the wiles


that I employ to win


its service to my side


are useless as wounded pride,


and much more painful.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I need a collection of her work - this is wonderful!

Serena said...

Beautiful poem! My current sleep pattern sounds much like yours. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.:)