Some Stuff About Me:

My photo
I'm a Minnesota Girl, living in the south. I tell my friends I try not to talk and think like a Yankee, but sometimes I slip up!

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Pearls


It's odd how some visual can spark a memory with me... in this case, the oversize pearl necklaces worn by Cindy McCain during the RNC last week. I have a beautiful strand of normal size pearls that I treasure, but haven't worn in years. They were an 80's thing. Cindy looks like she loves hers, and loves the ostentatious large size of pearls. Not for me.


Anyway, for a long time, I've written for a site called Pearlsoup. Although I visit from time to time, I've left Pearlsoup and taken most of my writings down after about a 5+ year of biding time in the community. I'll admit that I gave up on ever being able to have a site where people agreed to disagree with respect; and that the most virulent of the disrespectful people there stalked, goaded, and finally ended my continuous presence there.


Struck by both thoughts, I remembered a small poem that I loved writing that used the lovely word "pearl", and went it search of it today. I entered it in a women's poetry contest in 2005 and won an honorable mention. Once I knew the outcome, I was free to post it anywhere else, but I don't remember ever doing so... and FOUND, it is here again:



Strung Like Pearls


Strung like pearls, they shine
Luster catching light…
Your words woven freely together
A gift to me, your poetry.


I wonder if I’m worthy
And then I know that it is more than that.
Inspiration, I just may be;
The prize that helped you find your voice again.

May it never be silenced.




Enjoy. I was happy to find it again.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

This is beautiful!

I'm so glad that you were reminded of it and chose to share it with us here.

Donna said...

Wow! I love it. It leaves me wanting to know more.

Fabulous!

Pam said...

Yes, simply beautiful! Evocative and lyrical.

I love this!!!

Bob said...

Beautiful! Made me realize I do at times miss Pearl Soup but my favorite people from there followed me to my blog. I like this a lot better.

Serena said...

Lovely! I've been privileged to read some of your poetry and you are truly a gifted poet.