Some Stuff About Me:

My photo
I'm a Minnesota Girl, living in the south. I tell my friends I try not to talk and think like a Yankee, but sometimes I slip up!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Poet Sharon Olds

I'm pretty taken with semi-erotic poetry, for the most part. Poets aren't like romance novels...they leave a lot to the imagination. :)

Ms. Pam introduced me to Sharon Olds..... she writes all types of poetry, but really has a touch with the semi-erotic.

From Pam's blog, earlier this month .... Old's "The Talk"

http://thrivingamidthechaos.blogspot.com/2009/04/in-honor-of-national-poetry-month.html





From Marion's blog, just yesterday .... Old's "The Promise"

http://dragonflyspoetryandprolixity.blogspot.com/2009/04/moody-monday-poems-sharon-olds-and-more.html#comment-form




And, My Favorite: ..... Old's "Topography"






TOPOGRAPHY




After we flew across the country we


got in bed, laid our bodies


delicately together, like maps laid


face to face, East to West, my


San Francisco against your New York, your


Fire Island against my Sonoma, my


New Orleans deep in your Texas, my Idaho


bright on my Great Lakes, my Kansas


burning against your Kansas your Kansas


burning against my Kansas, your Eastern


Standard Time pressing into my


Pacific Time, my Mountain Time


beating against your Central Time, your


sun rising swiftly from the right my


sun rising swiftly from the left your


moon rising slowly from the left my


moon rising slowly from the right until


all four bodies of the sky


burn above us, sealing us together,


all our cities twin cities,


all our states united, one


nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.




~Sharon Olds (poet extraordinaire)






Whew! All of those who have been reading, dial it down. Breathe deep. This poem is for lovers of geography and, well, lovers.




3 comments:

Marion said...

You're right. I'm fanning my face with a piece of paper. Phew!

Pam said...

Great!!! OK, I'll dial it in a different direction. With Olds and Sexton.

Kelly said...

Ooooo, I like this one!! (ahem. for the geography, mind you)