Some Stuff About Me:

My photo
I'm a Minnesota Girl, living in the south. I tell my friends I try not to talk and think like a Yankee, but sometimes I slip up!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

e e cummings day

FreeVerse
Thanks to Cara of Ooh Books for hosting FreeVerse! Click on the link above for more.



Cummings was prolific and quixotic; altogether memorable. Cara posted one of his poems today, here's another in a very different genre:


somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond




~e e cummings




somewhere i have never travelled,gladly beyond


any experience,your eyes have their silence:


in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,


or which i cannot touch because they are too near




your slightest look easily will unclose me


though i have closed myself as fingers,


you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens


(touching skilfully,mysteriously)her first rose




or if your wish be to close me, i and


my life will shut very beautifully ,suddenly,


as when the heart of this flower imagines


the snow carefully everywhere descending;




nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals


the power of your intense fragility:whose texture


compels me with the color of its countries,


rendering death and forever with each breathing




(i do not know what it is about you that closes


and opens;only something in me understands


the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses)


nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands


3 comments:

Marion said...

I love him SOOOO much! The man just could not write a bad poem. This one is awesome. Blessings!

Kelly said...

I read such a limited amount of cummings in school I don't think I realized what a broad range he had.

This is very nice.

Cara Powers said...

I love cummings' love and sex poetry.